Wednesday 23 January 2013

bacon-wrapped salmon


The 12th recipe I attempted in 2013, and the 6th Nigel Slater's.

This recipe appeared as "Bacon-wrapped Salmon" in "The Kitchen Diaries 2" by Nigel Slater. You can also find it on The Guardian website (link here). I followed the recipe almost to word except (1) I made it for 3 instead of 2, (2) I put the thyme in before wrapping the bacon, instead of tucking it in after, (3) I doubled the bacon.

What I used:
(for 3) salmon fillets x 3, total 660g with skin / thinly cut streaky bacon, 12 rashers, 15g each / fresh lemon thyme about 8 sprigs / sunflower spray / salt & freshly ground black pepper

What I did:
set the oven at 200°C (fan) / cut each fillet into 2 halves / wash the fish and dry thoroughly with kitchen towel / season the fish with black pepper and very little salt / put a sprig of thyme on each fillet / wrap each piece of salmon in two rashers of bacon / spray with a little sunflower oil / turn the oven down to 180°C and bake for 15 mins until the fish is cooked and the bacon golden.



What I felt:
a very easy and quick recipe. absolutely yum. the faint scent of lemon from lemon thyme made a good match with salmon. but I think my oven wasn't hot enough so the bacon was far from crispy golden & paler than I wanted.

How good was it? 7/10 (could make it 9/10 if I turned the oven up a bit, sigh)

How easy was it? 8/10 (pretty easy. but squeezing all 6 pieces of salmon onto my standard baking pan was a bit challenging. should only make it for 2 next time)

How economical was it? 4/10 (not too economical. salmon for 3 was over £8 & bacon was over £2. adding lemon thyme the grand total was about £11 for 3 portions)

Will I make this again? Maybe. But I might try the "predecessor" recipe of this one, which is trout wrapped in parma-ham.


No comments:

Post a Comment